Samsung's 10.1-inch N150 netbook was first introduced in January, employing the then-new Intel Atom N450 processor and NM10 I/O controller. The N150 configuration announced today by Verizon Wireless includes no upgrades to the underlying platform, but is notable both for its low subsidized price and for its globe-trotting cellular modem.
According to Verizon Wireless, the netbook's modem supports 3G connectivity worldwide, offering CDMA/1X/EV-DO Rev. A on the 800/1900 MHz bands, UMTS/HSPA on the 850/1900/2100MHz bands, and GSM/GPRS/EDGE on the 850/900/1800/1900MHz bands. A preinstalled SIM card provides access in more than 200 countries, at least 110 of which offer 3G speeds, the carrier says.Of course, the N150's standard 802.11b/g/n wireless networking capability is retained, and Bluetooth 2.1 is also included, says Verizon. The carrier's listed configuration does skimp a little on memory (1GB of DDR2 RAM) and hard disk storage (160GB on a 5400rpm drive) compared to unsubsidized netbooks, however.
Verizon says the N150 includes a six-cell, 4400mAh battery that can provide up to seven hours of operation on a charge. One of the device's three USB 2.0 ports is powered even when the netbook is turned off, allowing for easy phone recharging, the carrier adds.
Features and specifications listed by Verizon Wireless for its configuration of the Samsung N150 include:
- Processor -- Intel Atom N450 clocked at 1.66GHz
- Chipset -- NM10 I/O controller
- Memory -- 1GB of DDR2 RAM (expandability not cited)
- Storage -- 160GB hard disk drive (5400rpm)
- Display -- 10.1-inch screen with 1024 x 600 pixel resolution
- Camera -- webcam (resolution n/s)
- Expansion -- SD/SDHC/MMC memory card reader
- LAN -- 10/100 Ethernet
- WLAN -- 802.11b/g/n
- PAN -- Bluetooth 2.1
- WAN -- CDMA/1X/EV-DO Rev. A: 800/1900MHz; UMTS/HSPA: 850/1900/2100MHz; GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
- Other I/O:
- 1 x VGA
- 3 x USB 2.0 (1 always powered)
- audio -- mic in, headphone out, stereo speakers
- Battery -- six-cell, 4400mAh, offering up to seven hours of operation
- Dimensions -- 10.4 x 7.4 x 1.05 inches
- Weight -- 2.73 pounds
- Operating system -- Windows 7 Starter Edition
More information may be found on the Verizon Wireless site, here. Samsung's product page for the N150 may be found here.