Kamis, 16 September 2010

Ericsson first with 21Mbps embedded HSPA modem

Both products were announced at the Intel Developers Forum in San Francisco. The 21Mbps device, the F5521gw, is based on chipmaker ST-Ericsson's modem platform and features embedded GPS functionality and Ericsson's 'Wake-on Wireless' capability.

According to Ericsson, this feature, claimed to be unique, "enables a wide range of innovative features, such as the ability to remotely 'wake' the device, subscribe to content push services and receive updates at any time…[and] when combined with GPS, enterprise features such as remote manageability, asset protection and tracking, geofencing and security updates are also easily incorporated."

Kursten Leins, head of strategy and marketing for Ericsson Australia, said: "As we move towards a world of 50 billion connected devices, embedded modules - rather than standalone modems such as dongles - will become more commonplace. They will be used not just in laptops and netbooks but increasingly in other consumer electronic devices and household items like surveillance cameras, digital storage, movement sensors, gas meters and cars."

He added that, increasingly laptop and notebook computers sold in Australia and New Zealand were shipping with embedded 3G modems. "According to Infonetics Research, 36 percent of all mobile broadband devices shipped globally were embedded, comprising PCs, netbooks, tablets and mobile Internet devices. The remaining 64 percent were USB modems and datacards.

"New generations of mobile devices such as tablets, for example the iPad, and e-book readers are significantly accelerating demand for embedded mobile broadband devices. According to Apple, for instance, iPad sales exceeded two million units within the first two months of being released.

Security features of embedded modems such as the F5521gw are also likely to lead to them being favoured by enterprises over removable dongles.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar